Houzz Logo Print
audra_harvey

Love my table but....

Audra Harvey
hace 9 años
LOVE my table but I am redoing our floors in a house we just bought. I am drawn to white oak floors that are white washed. what can I do to make these two go together? Or do I need to choose a different floor? I am open to staining the table. I think my table is sequoia not sure a friend cut a stump for me. I like modern finishes. thank you for your ideas.

Comentarios (56)

• excellyn
    hace 9 años
    Hi, please tell me what is whitew wash floors? Would this be done on concrete or wood?
  • ldipaola1
    hace 9 años
    I would LOVE to have a tabletop like that - any more available? ldipaola@sciotodowns.com
  • rinked
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    The combination sounds good to me :)
    No need to stain the table.
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    hace 9 años
    Yeah just do what you want with the floors and that table will look great. Plus it would be a waste of this top to stain it. Leave the natural beauty.
  • btydrvn
    hace 9 años
    Maybe floors would be better with a slightly golden wash..like a creamy color..it would be sacrilege to whitewash that table...at any rate whitewash may be a little trendy for such a long term investment as the floors..will you still love it in 10 years ...will it go with all your future changes in decor? ...if the answer is yes then maybe consider a good size area rug under the table to separate the finishes
  • PRO
    J.Fisher Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Please don't touch that table. Never match your floors to a piece of furniture anyway. Make them a color you love. Your woods never have to match. In fact, it's more interesting when they don't.
  • btydrvn
    hace 9 años
    To modernize the table consider changing the legs...maybe a stumpy tubular vertical legs of plexiglas or metal...something more substantial and proportionate to the thickness and size of the table..if you like metal a welding shop can fabricate exactly what you want...
  • halfpint2
    hace 9 años
    I think the sample flooring in your photo is gorgeous! Love the table!
  • btydrvn
    hace 9 años
    I agree that woods do not have to match...but they also should not clash...so any wood floor in a natural color would work...also that table is priceless in its uniqueness and personal meaning...by all means give it consideration in your choices
  • Tia
    hace 9 años
    It will look great as is--just look at your grey couch with the decorative pillows. They look perfect together, and the proposed flooring will have the same color echo with the table.
  • mmmc98
    hace 9 años
    Mixing woods is fine. I too think they go fine together, but if you don't I'll happily take the table off your hands!
  • dianeeeeeeeeee
    hace 9 años
    The table with the white wash floor would look great with your table and sofa because they are already dark so it would look great with light floor. I also suggest that your end tables match the material and look of that table to have some rhythm at your room.
  • Cathy Lengeling
    hace 9 años
    I want the table. Perfect in my new home in the mountains of Utah. design dilemma solved!
  • Audra Harvey
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for all the feedback. I do LOVE my table so it's not going anywhere ;). I had a lot of fun making it :). Now that I no longer live in Oregon it's a nice reminder of one of most favorite states :)
  • PRO
    Pasadena Mercantile & Woodworks | Pasadenaville
    hace 9 años
    The table is perfect as is. What some of the comments are neglecting to ask is if you plan on keeping the rug, using a different one or none. If a rug is present then the importance of the flooring in relation to the table is diminished a bit. A light colored rug like the one you have right now makes the table stand out and becomes a focal point.
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    hace 9 años
    This is a stunning piece and has a story to go with it. I think it will look wonderful and I agree with Pasadenaville in relation to your area rug. If you will still be using an area rug, just make sure it highlights the table and goes with the other furniture and the new floor. I would love to see pictures when you are done!

Janis, Designer, Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
  • PRO
    Flooring & Window Decor
    hace 9 años
    It is best not to match the table with the floor. The table will present better on the whitewashed floor. Send pictures when you refinish. It is going to look great.
  • dclostboy
    hace 9 años
    Whitewash will look more casual; darker floors would be more dramatic, especially with the current furnishings.
  • carolynirene
    hace 9 años
    This table is a gift of nature and should not be altered. My first impression is perhaps changing the area carpet to one colour. Also it is a massive table and needs a massive base. Perhaps you might consider a more cubic form of black iron or if you want a more modern feeling a large angular chrome base. I would not change the floor colour. Make your table your focus, frame it with a colourful carpet. This will draw attention to the magnificent table.
  • TiTi
    hace 9 años
    I'm not a matchy-matchy person, but feel with light top of table, light couch and light floors I would like a contrast. Personally, I would do a darker floor. Maybe upholster your couch a ardor color. The couch is fading to background. Also, sounds like you're not sold on the way it looks. I try to always follow my first instinct/gut. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Virgin Heart Sinker Cypress
    hace 9 años
    Please, please no stain on the table- awesome as is. Let nature show.
  • spisland
    hace 9 años
    Love the floor and the table! I'd change out the pillows on the sofa though, something with a white background and bright colors, patterned, not plain. Done!
  • spisland
    hace 9 años
    I do mean the whitewashed floor sample with the table..
  • craig Gillaspy
    hace 9 años
    Beef up the table legs with some thick black iron to play off the black windows and cable rails, and leave the top the way it is for contrast over the new light color floor
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    I love the tables in your idea book. We share a common taste!
  • Carran Manning
    hace 9 años
    chrome the legs of the table or put it on a new base and paint white or white wash to match the floors or paint it black. All three would look great. Black would be my favorite with all the other black items you are planning.
  • langb0615
    hace 9 años
    I love the table and wouldn't change it but I think that it would go good with one of theses woods. I think that it is in the 6 dollar range but is very durable. I think they are some of the better of the whitewashed oak.
  • jbaliberti
    hace 9 años
    It looks like the top of a mushroom, I love those, maybe some kind of color scheme in that direction-- bold outdoors, greens etc..
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    The table will look great with floor you want. Table is fine. Do not try to match things. More fun and interesting to mix it up.
  • Anna K.
    hace 9 años
    I have a comment on your Karlstad sofa. I have similar and recently changed out the legs for modern ones. it looks so wonderfully better. I think you'd benefit from that treatment with your modern slab table and new floors. you can find those legs in many shapes and sizes on Etsy.
  • Laurie
    hace 9 años
    Go for the floor you love and make your furniture work with it. That table is timeless.
    I agree either change the sofa legs or stain them a darker colour, as well put a more substantial base on the table, check antique or 2nd hand stores for bases. Last of all switch out the pillows for a bold pattern that pulls out all the colors in the room.
    Happy decorating.
  • PRO
    Naselari
    hace 9 años
    don't touch the table, floors in that grey washed will be a great warmth counterpoint. Just polish the wood table to vibrate/enhance it's natural color, With all the gray you need the warmth of that richness in the wood table.
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    hace 9 años
    Your table is a statement piece. It does not have to blend in or go with your floors. Keep your table just the way it is, go with the floors you're drawn to, and you will not be sorry. They'll look wonderful together.
  • coolelk
    hace 9 años
    You have my permission to love your table. Do not do anything to it! Listen to bgfuqua ........... they do NOT need to match. Do what YOU like! Who gives a flying monkey's little hat what anyone else that visits your house thinks? I can't see it from my house and don't care if it's purple, rust, pea soup green and yellow. The opinion that anyone else (even me) has is of little or no value. Free advise is worth the price the adviser asks for it...nothing. Who are you trying to impress? You have my permission to love your table. Do not do anything to it!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    I have a different take on the base than the commenter above that a massive table needs a massive base. I think what is under it now is very good as the top seems to float in space and all the attention is drawn to the awesome top. A big base could distract the attention from the unique top.
  • cage
    hace 9 años
    I think they look great together. The table will add needed warmth to the room.
  • wbarker111
    hace 9 años
    The contrast would be the look I would be interested in...
  • PRO
    Inspired Interiors
    hace 9 años
    The table is great. The floors white washed or lime washed would be amazing too. If you end up not being pleased with the overall look - just swap the rug out for something that you think would bridge the areas together better. But - GO FOR IT!
  • cushopn
    hace 9 años
    Some great ideas throughout. Taking many suggestions, here's my 2 cents. The flooring shown should not be shown next to the table, but next to the rug to show the contrast with the furniture pieces. Matchy matchy is out. The centerpiece is obviously the table. The contrast of the heavy top but the see through legs are a great balance. it gives you the option of heavier pieces next to it or lighter pieces. With the white washed flooring, I would jazz up the space. Definitely new couch legs, bright pillows with some color and different sizes, textures, colors. A rug of a similar style but a bolder color choice which matches one of the colors in the new pillows would be striking. We have any older dogs and hardwoods. I've had to put down rugs everywhere. They tend to be different colors of the bold geometrics out there. I was actually surprised how a different color could make the room feel with the art. Maybe get your flooring in, then buy a few cheap rugs similar to the style you want from Target, Walmart or Costco (where I got mine). Lay them down and live with them for awhile and you'd be surprised how your color preferences changes. Then hen you decide on a color you like, the other rugs can be used in the laundry room, kitchen, etc.
    bottom line is, the table is beautiful, it is balanced, and by spicing up the couch legs and using pillows and a bold color n the rug will bring the space to life. Right now, ho hum. With some color and texture, WOW.
  • PRO
    nls creations, inc.
    hace 9 años
    If you like modern finishes then don't do the whitewashed floor as I don't think that is a modern finish. I would suggest a porcelain floor, mud set, with a high gloss finish. There are a few different very light colors but my guess is the whitest one would work best. Leave the rest of the room as is. The table serves as an accent piece so don't get involved in creating your house around an accent piece ( even though it is great ). Good Luck
  • mrsqnbee
    hace 9 años
    Set the table on a rug. Maybe a sheepskin style.
  • roca2012
    hace 9 años
    Please........leave the table as is. This is a beautiful slice of nature!
    Take a look outside. There are many colors out there. And they all go together beautifully. No matter what you do for a floor, the table will hold it's own and look great.
  • PRO
    FINNE Architects
    hace 9 años
    Your table will look stunning against a pale oak floor. Keep the faith!
  • jwalleck1
    hace 9 años
    If the whitewash is close to the same shade as the rug your table is setting on you already solved the problem.
  • alexiasimon
    hace 9 años
    Floors wonderful -- don't change anything else
  • PRO
    J.C. Sterling Fine Furniture
    hace 9 años
    I see nothing wrong with that combination. I think it will look great together
  • gkdonnelly
    hace 9 años
    Go for it! will be fabulous
  • Audra Harvey
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I found a different floor that I love! Problem solved :) still very pale for oak but a little warmer.
  • PRO
    Maria Pifke for Ethan Allen Inc. Schaumburg
    hace 9 años
    I love the table and the combination of wood tones
  • kellybradley2
    hace 9 años
    Wood tones go with any color. It's going to look killer in the white wash floor. Leave the table alone. If you are wanting more unity between the two pieces maybe add a white vase on the table or a stack of white books...just an idea. But leave the table alone it's gorgeous. :)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.