Houzz Logo Print
amyfamyf

Shutters block light?

amyfamyf
hace 9 años
I am building a home and had planned on using plantation shutters but I recently had two people tell me that even open shutters in the daytime block out a lot of sunlight because of the big casings around them. I want to keep as much sunlight as possible and I am wondering if what I've been told is true and what other options I have that might still look like shutters? Blinds?

Comentarios (17)

• amyfamyf
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here is the space in my home I'm thinking of. I thought shutters first but I want to keep all that beautiful sunlight! Any ideas?
  • libradesigneye
    hace 9 años
    Amy, if this were my space, I would hang romans at top of wall so when open, it concealed that the door headers were off from window headers - something like sheer linen romans you can drop on the windows at night for softness and privacy. In the adjacent space, I would do the same but add flanking drapery panels on wide rods for color and softness. Use a neutral tone for the roman shades . . white or linen so you can change drapery without concern and get a classic nubby fabric that always looks great.

Eventually you are going to have a beautifully landscaped yard / garden to look at and you will want to be able to open them fully, keep the sun streaming in during the day, be able to look out and see this pretty yard. You don't have a huge privacy problem here (not a bathroom, no one right on top of you) and could plant some larger evergreen shrubs back at the property line if you want more.

just one opinion - wood blinds won't give you the same look but close . ..
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    Are you concerned about people seeing in your house? If you are, there's nothing wrong with the old levelor blinds that are 1" wide so they let more light in, but you can tip them so everyone can't see in. We've had them for years, and love them. Go with functionality over fashion.
  • bluenan
    hace 9 años
    Yes, plantation shutter are bulky, and not good if you like fresh air, they are too big to keep open, and make it difficult to get to the window. If you are considering a pair on each window they will definitely block light, and a single shutter will have to always remain shut. They are also very expensive. I think they work best on a window that is never going to be opened, in a room that needs a lot of privacy and doesn't have much of a view.
    I love bamboo or woven blinds because they can be pulled all the way up, and even when down will allow for a soft filtered light. They could be hung above your windows and come in many different colors.
    The closest thing to a shutter is a two inch wood blind. It looks like you might have just enough depth in your window to accommodate them.
    Jenkins Baer Associates · Más información
    Kiawah Family Home · Más información
    New Old Farmhouse · Más información
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2013-spring-parade-of-homes-traditional-dining-room-minneapolis-phvw-vp~5060661
  • PRO
    Home Delight Studio
    hace 9 años
    I would start from your style. What kind of furniture and accessory suppose to be there. Traditional? Transitional? Modern? Here some transitional solution for windows like yours. But don't install shutters.
  • PRO
    Home Delight Studio
    hace 9 años
    The best way is to make a combination of custom made drapery, shades and Hunter Douglas products. That should be nice and functional.
  • PRO
    Home Delight Studio
    hace 9 años
    If you don't like drapery and Roman shades, install Hunter Douglas Duette Architella (or Duolite) with Top Down Bottom Up option. You will easy control light and privacy and one more thing that is very important for size of your window - very good insulation (energy efficiency). With EasyRise mechanism Hunter Douglas can make this size in one piece.
  • amyfamyf
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Wow! These are all fabulous suggestions and solutions. I'm going to re-read them again and really think through this. I like the linen roman drapes or bamboo shades ideas. Something light and breezy. I've always wondered if one can see through these from the outside at night? I also found this picture that caught my eye but what would I do for the larger window on the right? This area will have a large concrete top dining table with metal modern chairs.
  • amyfamyf
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    This is a wider view of the room and the family room off to the right side. Family room also has large windows. Do the window coverings need to be the same in both rooms? Both shutters or both bamboo? How about shutters in the family room and relaxed roman shades in dining nook?
  • bluenan
    hace 9 años
    The window coverings don't have to be the same in both areas.
  • mcbriec
    hace 9 años
    Agree about no to plantation shutters. My own preference would be to maintain consistency of window coverings between visually contiguous rooms, but it is your perception that matters so if you want different coverings in a nook, go for it.

I love the textural look of the bamboo blinds, but from a completely functional perspective, nothing beats wood blinds which allow for fantastic light and privacy control. If you're planning on having a tv in the room, blinds would be the most practical in preventing glare and can be dressed up with decorative borders. If privacy is not too great a concern, perhaps it would be good to live in the house and see how you use the house and what rooms you're in at different times of the day.
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    Definitely think about each room separately. I got Plantation Shutters in bedrooms and across the front of the house (which is just an office and laundry room). They were very expensive, but I love them in those places. Then, drapes with a simple Hunter Douglas pleated shade underneath the drapes in the dining room. Then, nice Hunter Douglas Vignette shades in the living room where they practically disappear when open and let in all the light. Then, less expensive Hunter Douglas roller shades in the basement. So, give it a great deal of thought, room by room. You only need to be consistent in the same room or somewhere like the front of your home where you might want a consistent look from outside.
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años
    Get uv protection.
  • shars55
    hace 9 años
    Love my plantation shutters! If I need more light, I just open them....works fine. Most of the time I just adjust the slats so there's no direct sunlight coming in the house. The direct sunlight will ruin everything anyway.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    hace 9 años
    I love shutters too....but only for the right places. When it comes to a view never....when it comes to a pretty backyard...never...privacy and sun protection mostly. Here is what I would do...you will need to have sun protection I am sure...and possible privacy...but you still want to enhance the room with beautiful window treatments. When it comes to designing a room...this is one of the elements that are so important to consider as part of the whole scheme. Too often, I see people invest in shutters or something else and then when they are ready..to actually place furniture correctly...they are married to the treatment and this becomes an obstacle to the design...we always manage to get through it but we as designers know we could have done a much better job had we the opportunity. So, the my answer is do the entire room...at once at least plan it well enough that you can make the right decision the first time spending the money once for each item that will go in the room.
    I can help you with this and my company has created a system that works long distance if you are interested. 714-970-8000
  • libradesigneye
    hace 9 años
    Amy - Consider a pair of shades for the window on the right of the breakfast / dining area - treat it like two together. In the living room, I would hang drapery rods wide of the entire thing, consider soft romans hung at the ceiling line so they make a valance over all three (larger in the middle might even be a dummy valance since I'm not sure I would ever drop it, and then hang flanking panels. You can't see "through" linen at night, but you can see light and if someone is really close to the window / between the internal light and window you might see a shadow or shape. Nothing that would make you feel you didn't have privacy. . .
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.