Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: How often do you purge your closets?

Emily H
hace 9 años
Do you have a regular routine to purge closets of outdated or unneeded items so the task doesn't become overwhelming? How often do you do it?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Amazing closet that feels like a high end boutique · Más información
Once a month
Once a year
Every couple years
Never
Other - Tell us below!

Comentarios (167)

• marapc
    hace 9 años
    I do it and sometimes I give clothes to charity, but sometimes I just keep part of it and I think is time to purge correctly year...
  • Violet
    hace 9 años
    No need to purge. I try to live simply and clutter free. I feel no need for lots of clothes or shoes. Or just stuff.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    Once a year is typically good enough for me!
  • dspot21
    hace 9 años
    Not as often as needed, very small closet with a cherry dresser but can never seem to find anything to wear.
  • Pattianne Madeo
    hace 9 años
    We have built 3 closets in our Master Bedroom by throwing a wall across the room. That makes 4 closets (one is cedar lined) including the original small one. We use the center closet for out of season clothing, which leaves one on each side for us. I will admit to using the cedar closet for my DIY clothes, and daily hang-around stuff. The other one is for 'dress-up' or church clothes. We keep a box next to the front door while we are doing the renov & de-clutter and as I find unneeded things or excess or duplicates into the box it goes and when full off the the church Outreach. My major problem is drawers and bins...MANY bins of fabric, of yarn, of craft & art supplies. The yarn and fabric need to go to the local Univ. art dept for supplies, the many power and sculpture tools will be left to the University here where I studied sculpture. 50+ years of wedded bliss = waaay too much stuff and too many things and now it has to go. Want to be clutter and stuff free. Life is too short and too complicated to waste time searching for things lost in the crowd.
  • ladylaine
    hace 9 años
    Twice per year!!!
  • schm11
    hace 9 años
    Every season i get rid of stuff i have not used for 2 years
  • viz1967
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I purge my closet annually as part of my Lenten commitment. Helps me keep in mind how much other people could be enjoyinig clothes I no longer want.
  • PRO
    Dallas Organizer
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I am a Professional Organizer with Get Organized! in Dallas, Tx.
    Get Organized! has been in business since 2007 and since that time we have been featured on Good Morning Texas, Good Day Fox, CBS11 and have an "A" rating on Angie's List.

For anyone needing assistance with purging, please know, I have excellent knowledge of ways to maximize closet space.

Below is a link to a page on our website that will explain a bit more.. please do read this.
    http://www.getorganized.ws/Services/ResidentialServices/PricingInformation.aspx
  • marthajeanhowell
    hace 9 años
    I change the clothes and shoes in our master closet twice a year.once in the fall and again in the spring. I take out items we don't wear any longer and donate them. Then I can make room for more!
  • Madeline Small
    hace 9 años
    Although we have the largest bedroom in our home the closet is small...so I keep many clothes (mainly jackets) in another closet. I also tend to keep clothes for a long time, especially if they continue to fit well and look polished.

I also completely agree w/For Space Sake's comment on 9/28 saying purging should be a continual process so it does not become overwhelming. I routinely donate clothes that no longer make sense to keep--better to give them away so someone else can use them!!
  • Christina
    hace 9 años
    Every year.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    hace 9 años
    Almost never...but I'm good with a handful of shirts and a handful of pants. I need to get rid of the excess out of my closet.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    hace 9 años
    As it is, I can't get through my shoes to get to my clothes.
  • carthiefintexas
    hace 9 años
    I'd love that issue Darla.
  • Judy Shepherd
    hace 9 años
    Usually twice a year, with the spring and winter seasons.
  • Linda Christensen
    hace 9 años
    I try to stick to the one in-one out. The one out goes to charity. Purge as you go!
  • PRO
    Picture it Sold!
    hace 9 años
    I actually never have, until this month. I'm 58. I don't buy very trendy clothes, so everything I have still works, unless I get sick of looking at it or 'outgrow' it. I have things as old as my children (in their early 30's) that still look great. About to be moving though, so I have purged.
  • jamifischer
    hace 9 años
    Twice a year! Love ya houzz!
  • PRO
    J.Mark Kitchen and Home Decor
    hace 9 años
    I said 'never' because I just donate unwanted clothes as apprpropriate. I usually wear basics, which stay around longer. We did convert a used giant TV media center into an armoire for more closet space. We just downsized from 2,400 to 1,200 sq. ft. to retire on the beach. Maximizing use of small space is my current passion.
  • robins roost
    hace 9 años
    Twice a year spring and fall...I go to consignment first and the rest goes to goodwill.
  • PRO
    Bella Systems - Custom Closets
    hace 9 años
    Just noticed over the weekend that you guys used a photo of one of our completed projects for your poll.

Purging your closets is a discussion we have with our clients often.

Thank you Houzz :)

Bella Systems
    732-413-8722
    bella-systems.com
  • karunagrace
    hace 9 años
    I've got a great consignment boutique in town which is basically my revolving closet. Every month or so I bring in a few items to recycle for store credit. When I want some thing "new" I go there and use my credit. It's an economical, eco-friendly way to indulge my double-Gemini penchant for variety and change.
  • rsuiter
    hace 9 años
    I purge at least 4 times a year. (every season and sometimes more often than that)
  • elefantenkitzle
    hace 9 años
    Purge! Never! My wardrobe is one big time-travel machine with painstakingly collected stuff from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s happily co-existing with what contemporary and exotic pieces that inspire me.
    I can enter and within minutes emerge ‘a-bloom’ in a Hawaiian bark-cloth contraption sprouting with plumeria and hibiscus; or a trim little Doris Day –type suit; or a vintage beaded sweater and pencil skirt; or a day-glow print designed to make your eyes water. It is all FUN!

I’ve had my ‘better half’ protest and say he’ll pretend he doesn’t know me (only once when I threatened to leave the house with a pair of pale orange suspender ¾ trousers printed with big happy yellow daisies with bright turquoise centres – I still have it and it still makes me smile) but even that incident had its merit because my promising not to wear the offending item made him agree in relief to other items censured before, but made tame by comparison.
    It’s all good!

So my wardrobe, or should I say ‘Fun-box’, is a definite No-Purge-Zone! And as for my shoes...well…the very thought of ‘purge’ brings on an allergic reaction.

Whenever life demands a downsize I'll find some fun-loving girlies to give it all to.
  • kyaneo
    hace 9 años
    Love this woman's spirit and style!
  • hadicol
    hace 9 años

I find purges exhausting and overwhelming . . . . I like to peel back the layers year round. If I find something looking worn or neglected I set a timer for 5 minutes and pull anything that looks likes its time with me is over. I keep boxes in the back of my SUV and toss thrift shop items in as I find them.

• PRO
    Ward Designs
    hace 9 años

I have very little closet space (older home). I purge twice a year - Spring and Fall.

• ladylaine
    hace 9 años

Older home small closet twice per ear purge myself.

• Trisha
    hace 8 años

That closet is almost a big as my entire apartment...........OH, what a dream!!!

• User
    hace 8 años

I purge so much I have nothing left...My side of a walk in closet has two tops and a pair of dress pants, 5 boxes holding shoes, one box holding scarves, and 4 purses. My husband's side is completely filled. And he's getting more! LOL! Most of my clothes are foldable, so they go in a large chest of drawers. That's where my retirement wardrobe of knit pants, tee shirts, swimsuits, a couple of sweaters, and the hated bras live.

• Trisha
    hace 8 años

I envy you rachuba....going through my closets is a chore I always dread.

• PRO
    LK Design
    hace 8 años

Twice a year, with the season change.

• rubyloves2shop
    hace 8 años

I just built a bigger closet :)

• Pattianne Madeo
    hace 8 años

Basically with every seasonal change...here that's Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter...

• ritting28
    hace 8 años
    2-3 times per year
  • PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    hace 8 años

It's sometimes so hard to give away some of your favorites!

• User
    hace 8 años

Constantly.

I'm a purger/organizer by nature and detest hanging on to anything that has no foreseeable value to me (BTW: I've only regretted it once and I'm over it now).

On the other hand, my husband is a saver which makes for interesting discussions. He kept a coffee can full of miscellaneous screws for years and for some reason we always bought screws when we needed them. So, with the help of my son, we sorted what could be sorted and organized the entire garage - with labels on everything. All rusted and non-sortables went to recycle or trash. You know what my husband said? "I can't find anything in the garage." He's so funny - can't help but love him.

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Twice a year - spring and fall..and sometime in between.

• Kathy Chu
    hace 8 años

When I get something new something old has to go!

• ljdcom
    hace 8 años

Purge at the end of every Season.

Plus I also adhere to the something new in something old out.

I donate everything I purge to the Vietnam Vets or Veterans of Foreign Wars organizations.

It killed me to donate all my SHOES - Once I retired and we moved to Florida I packed up the collection- 300 + pairs of shoes - 3-4 inch heels are not needed at this time of my life. (but i do miss looking at them all lined up in the closet!) I could not see packing them to move when I would probably never use them again and on the bright side it opened the door to buy NEW when I needed! Have now started a New fabulous Sandal collection! lol..

• orangefishdream
    hace 8 años
    Two or more times a year. I keep a donate bag in the closet for the clothes I know I want to get rid of. Also let friends and family to have a choice of clothes, etc. that works for them. I put any clothes that I am on the fence about at the front of the closet and make a point to wear them and then decide to keep or discard. I do the same for accessories. This is an ongoing process.
  • Tanya H
    hace 8 años

I keep somewhat of a minimalist closet, so as soon as I know I won't be wearing a piece anymore, it goes out. This doesn't happen too often; I aim to buy only what I LOVE, hence I wear it a long time.

• PRO
    Luxury Outdoor Design
    hace 8 años

Once a year

• misselthwaite
    hace 8 años

Mine, once every three or four years. My kids, every six months, minimum. I do not acquire new things frequently, and have minimal storage, so that encourages leaving clothes in the store.

• Sheree Zaerr
    hace 8 años

Not often enough!

• Ava Williams
    hace 8 años

Always a mess. I need to clean and purge more!

• PRO
    Lunada Consulting & Design, Inc.
    hace 7 años

With each season.

• Erika
    hace 2 años

I don't have a schedule for closet purges. I have dedicated spaces in my armoire and closet for each type of clothing and if I get new things and notice the designated space for a particular item is getting tight, I pull a couple of my least favorites out and donate them.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    hace 2 años

Wow, I had no idea it was a thing.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.