Houzz Logo Print
sawtoothmama

color ideas for my kitchen cabinets

sawtoothmama
hace 9 años
I'd like to paint or stain my kitchen cabinets a new color..they are currently stained and almost look "pink". There's too much of the same color going on with the wood ceiling, walls and countertops. Would love to see some photos for ideas!

Comentarios (46)

• Emily
    hace 9 años
    I think painting them white will make the wood in your countertops and on the ceiling pop and make the space feel larger.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Emily
  • PRO
    Lynne Russell Interiors
    hace 9 años
    From the photos, it looks like there is off - white on the lower cabinets. I would paint the cabinets an off-white. Some suggestions would be: Benjamin Moore OC- 130 Cloud White, OC-117 Simply White or OC-17 White Dove. It's a beautiful kitchen!
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Lynne Russell Interiors
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Beautiful log beams and tile floor! But I agree -- the cabinets look too pink and there's a lot of "yellow" tones going on with the logs, counters and flooring. You'll need to stay with a light color and one that works well with all of the golden tones. I think creamy off-white/beige would be your best bet. Farrow & Ball's (swatch photo below) 'Cornforth White' would be a good choice.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    North Shore Cabinetry
    hace 9 años
    Here is a kitchen I designed a year ago. Similar to yours but stained dark and has a dark paint to contrast:

http://www.houzz.com/projects/380168/warm-hickory-delight
  • sawtoothmama
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Wow, beautiful kitchen. I like the glass in the uppers. What are the counter tops? Just lovely!
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    hace 9 años
    Pickling wood turns it pink...and it was poplular 10-20 years ago. I have pickled oak cabinets in my kitchen and baths that I am FINALLY getting rid of. For you, I would heed the advice of the above entries in painting it white. I would stain the island cabinets a dark espresso to match your counterstools, however. Lovely kitchen and log beams.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Janet H. Designs
  • PRO
    Ideas Design Excellence-in Art
    hace 9 años
    I agree with the suggestions of the white but with a soft glaze to add some character and possibly doing a white wash on the plank portion of the cieling to sodten some of the heaviness of the woods. introduce a nice cooler color for ballance, like a dark grey (possibly a bluish to greenish grey something that plays of the adjacent areas) to the island for some punch and a soft version of it to the walls and backsplash. You have some amazing features that you dont see often mahe the most of them. Good luck cool project
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Ideas Design Excellence-in Art
  • Ann
    hace 9 años
    I was also thinking a subtle shade of green.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Ann
  • PRO
    Kerber Construction, LLC
    hace 9 años
    I also agree with the idea of a light (not bright) white with glaze to keep with that warm look you have through out. I would also add highlights to pull in the surrounding colors of your flooring. If you call or go online to Dunn Edwards, www.dunnedwards.com, they have a free consulting service. Talk with them, send some of you pictures, they'll give you advice that should help.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Kerber Construction, LLC
  • PRO
    Kerber Construction, LLC
    hace 9 años
    I love the idea of greens, definitely stay away from anything reds and yellows.
  • sawtoothmama
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks very much for the Dunn Edwards link! I'll have a look..cheers!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    hace 9 años
    a nice colored stain or distressed paint with glaze would be nice. You can also do a two tone kitchen where top cabinets are different from the bottom or the island can be a contrasting color for an extra pop. Definitely update the door knobs and drawer pulls as that can make all the difference and help tie things together. I like the green as many have suggested and paired with a more natural wood to go well with your ceiling.

Headwaters Camp Cabin, Big Sky, Montana · Más información

Homestead Pioneer Ranch · Más información

Rustic Kitchen · Más información
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Shakuff
  • Betsy Hartman
    hace 9 años
    I keep coming back to green also. I love the idea of adding actual color to the kitchen cabinets. Green would be perfect with all the wood.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Betsy Hartman
  • lynda_livecchi
    hace 9 años
    I would paint them a soft white so they blend in with the walls and the beautiful wood ceiling really takes center stage. I would also consider changing out the heavy black chairs. Lastly, I would change out or stain the counter tops for a little contrast.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a lynda_livecchi
  • leelee
    hace 9 años
    If you have cabinets that are stained and sealed with polyurathane then you might have to strip all that off. The easiest choice would be to paint (but don't think it's easy) Gray would look nice with your terra cotta floor tiles and go with all the wood, too. A green-gray but not a blue-gray.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a leelee
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 9 años
    I would paint the island a different color. Love the patina looking green a few posts up! That would look stunning with your wood. If you go with white, then do the island the green or even a gray or yellow. I like that soft sage green color as well. Beautiful kitchen. will look stunning with some color
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Merrie Lucas Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Since the adjacent areas are not shown, it's hard to make a decision that would incorporate all areas. However, based on what's shown, I would paint the lower cabinets on the L-shaped portion of the kitchen and the desk area an off-white (somewhat creamy) glazed with a soft brown with goldfish tones. I would paint lower cabinets on the island in the middle a soft black to blend with the cooktop, windows and stools appear to be black. I would also add black hardware to the cabinets.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Merrie Lucas Interiors
  • donaflor
    hace 9 años
    What a beautiful home! But I agree, what you have now isn't quite the perfect color. I agree with one of the other posters who suggested painting the upper the same color as the lowers. But have you considered swapping out some of the doors for glass fronts (divided lights?) or remove some of them altogether for an open shelving for special pieces? The backs can be painted the white, or you can incorporate the green some of the others suggested or whatever would tie in with the rest of the space.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a donaflor
  • sunshinejoetta
    hace 9 años
    I really like the greens people have suggested. Black has gotten really big here to accent s few cabinets too.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a sunshinejoetta
  • Jo Miller
    hace 9 años
    We went with a color called twig for our cabinets.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Jo Miller
  • SturgeonSue
    hace 9 años
    The big beautiful log beams on the ceiling are gorgeous, and the main focal point of the room, but I feel with the wood counter the room appears "squished".I would change the counter top to a different material other than wood as that is the dominant feature in the room already. I would paint the cabinets an off white and also consider painting the window frames the same colour to open up the room and have a continual flow along the top of the room. I would switch out the black stools as the appear quite heavy. Perhaps a subtle tile backsplash to give the wall area some dimension. Have fun re-doing your beautiful home and go with what feels best for you!
    sawtoothmama agradeció a SturgeonSue
  • diyer59
    hace 9 años
    The "pink" is known as pickleing. I used to have cabinets this color. Those look in great shape, possible staining them a few shades lighter than the pine poles would work, I wouldn't go darker.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a diyer59
  • tsoles12
    hace 9 años
    I agree with the green! I think it would look fabulous with the wood!
    sawtoothmama agradeció a tsoles12
  • gustaruygers
    hace 9 años
    This is a great looking kitchen however you could open up the room by removing all upper cabinets( if you don't need that storage space, that is) and I would swap the bar stools with a style more suited to the style of the kitchen as the present stools conflict and stand out.
    I then would paint the walls in a color.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a gustaruygers
  • dickerd1
    hace 9 años
    Why not take the upper cabinets down & put open shelves w/ decorative bowls, dishes, etc.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a dickerd1
  • qofmiwok
    hace 9 años
    I've recently seem several high end home remodels with amazing re-finished cabinets. In most cases the cabinets started that pickled finish, or a dated oak/maple or pine, and were darkened with a stain/glaze technique (professionally done). In every case they looked amazing. I would find a professional in your area that does this and have them bring you some samples.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a qofmiwok
  • goldensister
    hace 9 años
    I'd go with a grey.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a goldensister
  • stepcild
    hace 9 años
    I'd advise changing your lighting or your light bulbs - the pink may go away.
  • ptmatthews
    hace 9 años
    I too would go with green, on the dark side. I think it would be a great contrast to the wood ceiling and walls.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a ptmatthews
  • gmicute
    hace 9 años
    You might want to consider painting the base cabinets a dark or vibrant color and using a softer shade on the uppers. Blue is my favorite color so that's my default recommendation. A nice green might work. Also (and this is a very non-standard idea) consider your favorite shade of purple--unless of course you hate purple, in which case please don't hurt me. ;)
    sawtoothmama agradeció a gmicute
  • Pat K
    hace 9 años
    Remove the upper cabinetry and put in the 2" thick shelving on each side of the large window (2 levels). Paint the lower cabinetry a nice cream color and maybe do a little glazing in the crevices of the panels. Paint the wall a rich barn red or other deep color and for the final touch, replace the countertop with granite or quartz in shades of brown/black/cream/gold. The deep color on the walls will bring out the beautiful beams. Right now it all blends together. Painting all the lower cabinets the same soft cream unifies them as will having all the same countertops. The thick shelving will give it a touch of modern in a linear way and add a place for storage or display. Also, change out the stove hood vent for a classy stand alone one and remove the piece of cabinetry. Finally, change out the cabinetry knobs, dark brown ones to go with the countertops. This all sounds warm and inviting. Keep the bar chairs if they go with the countertops. Have fun and good luck. Post a pix when you are done!
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Pat K
  • lepstein
    hace 9 años
    IMHO, painting the cabinets white would create an imbalance of white and wood that would not highlight anything, unless you painted the walls and/or something else.

I would get rid of most or all of the current white as it does nothing for those beautiful logs on the ceiling. Best would be green or blue with an undertone of grey (have the paint shop add some "smooches" of black if you can't find the exact colour). Do this on all the cabs, the island and the centre piece (although the lowers could go darker or a contrasting colour - even red - if you are brave - it would up the "wow" quotient). Once you have done these things, eyeball the walls to see if they need colour. I don't mind the counters, but if you decide to change them, I would go dark, but in a colour that echoes the tone in the ceiling.

BTW, I also liked the very rustic pic that someone posted earlier, but you have to like this style and have it fit the rest of your home to go for it.

Good luck!
    sawtoothmama agradeció a lepstein
  • PRO
    North Shore Cabinetry
    hace 9 años
    The countertops were soapstone
  • Barbara Jacobson
    hace 9 años
    You wrote: " I would stain the island cabinets a dark espresso". Can you recommend a stain that is "espresso"? I am looking for exactly that to stain a new fireplace mantel that is made out of maple. Thank you!
  • ynotmarciasnyder
    hace 9 años
    I'm a sucker for rustic kitchens. You can go different ways here. I love the aged rustic beat up paint on the cabinets. Then again the clean lines with a strong color countertop would make this kitchen pop. Like the green everyone is talking about. I hope you enjoy it.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a ynotmarciasnyder
  • kaylalynn08
    hace 9 años
    with all the beautiful wood, i would go natural go for the brown or beige colors.. :)
    sawtoothmama agradeció a kaylalynn08
  • Marianne Scoggin
    hace 9 años
    I'm already tired of seeing white cabinets in kitchens, particularly with black counter tops and black island cabinets with white counters. Making the cabinets black or white will bring in a sleekness that doesn't fit this rustic room. Also, I have had very light cabinets. Every fingerprint and tiny splash stands out. As for black counters, you have to want to daily dust-wash-dry them or every speck of dust and crumbs will show.

As for removing your upper cabinets and replacing them with open shelves, I think it is a cheap look, originating from rooms where that is all that could be afforded. Again, are you prepared to constantly be cleaning the items on these open shelves, as well as the shelves themselves?

My apologies to anyone I may have offended!

For the ordinary homeowner, it is a mistake to go with the latest trends. Just about the time you rid yourself of the yellows in your woods, or tone them down, something like them will become popular! Your room is beautiful. Use the yellows, the rust of the tiles - with one of the the lovely greens shown.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a Marianne Scoggin
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I had agreed when posters said 'yes the right green will be great with wood' and my 2 cents' worth is to paint only the bottom cabinets, and don't make uppers create such contrast up at ceiling [regular height?].
    sawtoothmama agradeció a everdebz
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años
    if bottom were darker, the 4 chairs wouldn't contrast so so much.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a everdebz
  • Marianne Scoggin
    hace 9 años
    Not liking white cabinets, I hesitate to post this, but it fits what some are suggesting!
  • Marianne Scoggin
    hace 9 años
    Saw a kitchen in which upper cabinets were painted same color as walls. Made them sort of disappear, making the room look spacious, yet keeping the storage. Had cabinets the color of the floor (wood stain in that case - in your case?) and a black island. Wasn't able to copy the photo.
  • magamundo
    hace 9 años
    I think your kitchen would look even more inviting in a soft grayed out green. It would balance the yellow tones yet still have a presence of it's own.
    sawtoothmama agradeció a magamundo
  • nkahovec
    hace 9 años
    Beautiful kitchen-a lot of beautiful wood. Like the idea of the green and replacing some upper cabinets with glass. Since already have a lot of wood, when budget permits, change out the countertops. Adding a granite would be beautiful and then the countertops could incorporate the kitchen colors with some neutral. Agree that bar stools don't quite go (but I do love them). I would not use dark wood finish-I think it would take away the focal point of your current beautiful woodwork.
  • sawtoothmama
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you so much, I like your advice and have decided on a grayed out green and agree about the countertops..Cheers!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.