Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Paint or Wallpaper?

Tom Flanagan
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
Is it not the eternal question? When decorating a house, design dilemmas don't come more commonplace than this. Do you go for the cheaper, quicker and more flexible option that is paint, or the longer-lasting and unmatched aesthetic of wallpaper?

Let us know what you chose and why in the comments section below!
Paint
Wallpaper

Comentarios (42)

• Another Thyme
    hace 9 años
    I chose paint. Wallpaper styles go out of favour so quickly and wallpaper is more of a chore than paint if you have to change it up.
  • PRO
    Eades & Draw
    hace 8 años
    We voted wallpaper- obviously- but certainly some spaces and some patterns just don't go together. Striking the right balance can be hard even for feature walls.

The best option is of course choose something you absolutely love and if you don't love it in the pattern book/ sampling stage you won't love it on your walls. We would disagree that there is a more limited colour pallet for wallpaper it depends on the wallpaper.
  • PRO
    Studio Wallcoverings
    hace 8 años

100% wallpaper, we feel that sometimes paint can be a bit too safe. Go for something different :-)

• PRO
    Digital Wallpaper
    hace 8 años

It has to be a bespoke printed wallpaper for me

• PRO
    AG Interiors
    hace 8 años

Wallpaper is definitely making a comeback - there are some wonderful textured wallpapers around now - silk, linen , seagrass etc - I'm definitely veering more towards wallpaper now for certain rooms - can add more depth and interest to a scheme but I'm not a fan of feature walls ......

• PRO
    Louise Jackson Interior Design Ltd
    hace 8 años

Wallpaper is always a winner for me!! my clients are often a little scared of wallpaper but without fail when I have suggested a wallpaper they have always not only agreed but got very excited about doing something that would normally be out of their comfort zones!!

• PRO
    RD Glass
    hace 8 años

I prefer paint myself, as some have mentioned it is so versatile and easy to update

• PRO
    p walker painting and decorating
    hace 8 años

Paint and paper work well together paint 3 walls and paper one accent wall

• PRO
    artndec decorators
    hace 8 años

It's more sophisticated

• PRO
    Tenet Design Contracts Ltd
    hace 8 años

With the modern commercial fabrics out there at the moment my preference is wallpapers, but obviously it depends on the area to be decorated or the client I am working for.

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

a well-chosen quality paint always outlives any wall paper

• Ocean Clarke
    hace 8 años

I guess paint is less risky but a wallpapered standout feature wall can really transform a room (if you get it right of course)!

• PRO
    Rob Crawshaw Photo
    hace 8 años

Paint is the most versatile option... Wallpaper is nice but like others have said, can go out of fashion etc... Though, if you don't want to go full blown wallpaper, you could go for a feature wall which would be easier to take down, should the room change designs in the future.

• PRO
    Karin Akesson
    hace 8 años

I prefer paint, it's easy to update and prefer to let the artwork stand out

• PRO
    M J Tiller Decorators
    hace 8 años

I voted for wallpaper because a lot of people prefer to have a feature wall in their lounge and bedrooms.

• PRO
    Docklands Bathrooms
    hace 8 años

Although some wallpaper are stunning, the paint would give that precise shade you want and also would be easier to change.

• PRO
    Studio180°
    hace 8 años

Paint is simple and easy to change. Wallpapers can get out of fashion quickly, specially if it has any busy patterns.

• PRO
    Marsden Joinery
    hace 8 años

I've chosen paint because its very versatile and easy to change when ever you feel like with little mess.

• PRO
    The Best Wallpaper Place
    hace 7 años

i prefer wallpaper as they offer more designs

• PRO
    idesign
    hace 7 años

Paint, unless your walls are completely perfect the join often shows :(

• PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery
    hace 7 años

I voted for paint but I do like wallpaper in some properties I have done

• PRO
    Absolute Project Management
    hace 7 años

We think paint is great, but wallpaper can create a wonderful feature wall in your space. We recently used this amazing wallpaper in a bedroom creating a feature wall behind the bed.

• PRO
    Elli Popp
    hace 7 años

I love working with wallpapers and complimenting paint in the interior of each room, bringing out details, other items with their colour and shape, creating your very own personal story one can connect with.

• PRO
    Duriya Bhaiji Interior Studio
    hace 7 años

It entirely depends on the room and the scheme you are working with

• PRO
    Sarah's Wallpaper & Interiors Ltd
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I prefer wallpaper as it liven up the room.

• PRO
    ProTouch NI
    hace 7 años

Wallpaper can provide a stronger style statement in a room - but needs to be carefully chosen first to make sure your happy longterm

• PRO
    Leighton Home Style
    hace 7 años

Wallpaper can create the warmth some rooms need especially on the back wall behind a bed...great focal point to a room.

Hadley Wood · Más información

• PRO
    Sarah Vanrenen Designs
    hace 7 años

The answer to this question completely depends on the situation, place, room, house, country that we are referring to!

• PRO
    Vivodecor Bespoke Wallpaper & Murals
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I think Wallpaper, with bespoke wallpaper and creative ideas the limits are endless.

• PRO
    HAMILTON WESTON WALLPAPERS LTD
    hace 7 años

We voted for wallpaper, naturally!

If you are considered with your choice of design and invest wisely; good design will not date! Wallpaper generally has more durability than paint and is built to last.

Many clients who have period properties are looking back to traditional wallpaper designs to complement the architectural style of their home.

Like paint, wallpaper is hugely versatile and with exciting new designers experimenting in wall coverings; it is not just a product for the nostalgic!

It is not inexpensive, if done properly, but well worth it (we think!)

• PRO
    Edge AD
    hace 7 años

Clean lines - crisp finish!

• PRO
    Highclere Interiors
    hace 7 años

It is indeed the eternal question, and one to which there is no right or wrong answer. We find that our customers tend to use both in most of their projects, although we are seeing people moving away from feature walls in otherwise painted rooms and back towards rooms which are fully wallpapered again. Our most cutting edge customers are evening using wallcoverings on their ceilings, something that has been out of trend for many years.

• PRO
    hace 7 años

In my experience paint never lasts as long as wallpapers - just one sticky kids finger on a matte painted wall & it's time to repaint! And good taste doesn't really date. We've got a simple 1790's design that's been up 30 years and looks modern and as good as new. Also a Marthe Armitage paper that's a work of art in its own right!!

• PRO
    MILLARD INTERIORS
    hace 7 años

We find that a lot of our clients prefer paint.

• PRO
    hace 7 años

Wallpaper can create the warmth some rooms need especially on the back wall behind a bed or as a feature wall for your living room. www.sarahinteriors.com

s

...great focal point to a room

• PRO
    Fleetwood Paints
    hace 7 años

Paint - but we're slightly biased!

• PRO
    hace 7 años

The funny thing is that nothing dates faster than the latest trends! Whether it's the recent vogue for Pistachio green, Orange, or neutral greys or taupe colours or trendy wallpapers, such as the ubiqitous 'Woods'.

Paint is the safest and easiest option for those without confidence or design knowledge. Paint does bring out the architectural quality and details (that why until recently architects have rejected them on the whole). But I really disagree with those that say paint lasts longer than papers. Of course it depends on if it's used in high traffic areas but wallpapers in some houses have lasted well over a century! A choice of wallpaper show a certain statement of confidence and with current Site specific, carefully designed Digital papers or Artisan designed, hand crafted or printed wallpaper you are installing a work of art to be enjoyed for a considerable time.

• PRO
    hace 7 años

Home we present to our guests not only creates an image of the way we live but also the people we are. Wallpaper makes a great statement.

• PRO
    Benjamin Raymond
    hace 7 años

Paint is 100% more beneficial, wallpaper over time (even if well hung) will start to peel, shrink etc. not to say paper does not have its place, but i would always choose paints or decorative plasters over paper.

• PRO
    MG Property and gardening services
    hace 7 años

Paint is more versatile, as you are able to wash it down, and you can get some amazing finishes, and textures.

• PRO
    Tenet Design Contracts Ltd
    hace 7 años

It depends. We use both. Vescom and Wall and Deco are favoured, however we seem to be specifying and using a lot of stucco finishes at the moment.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.