Houzz Logo Print
bglassman

Shower Leaks: Curbed vs Curbless

bglassman
hace 9 años
Having come to the blindingly obvious conclusion that we are not getting any younger, my wife and I are considering both building and remodeling, and both of those scenarios include curbless showers. But I've had it with shower leaks, which have done damage to two different houses already. So, is the curbless any less leak-prone? Are there important steps to take either when building or remodeling to prevent leaks?

All insights are welcome.

Bernard Glassman

Comentarios (4)

• Mandy Feagan
    hace 9 años
    I would have to think it's the angle of the drain that prevents the leaks if you want a curbless shower. You would definitely want a contractor who knows what he or she is doing when installing it.
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 9 años
    Make sure the shower head points away from the door and that the shower head's cone of water is narrow enough not to hit the walls.
  • PRO
    Better Living Design (BLD)
    hace 9 años
    It is entirely possible to create leak-free showers of any type, including curbless showers (which are our favorite - very classy with great utility). Whether you use a single circular drain or a trench drain, the proliferation of set up units and floor systems means that much of the uncertainty of "how-to" is a thing of the past. Having said that, please choose tile guys and plumbers who have done this before. Hanley Wood is a supporter of ours and one of their publications, The Journal of Light Construction, had a useful article in June about fixing (read, preventing) leaks. I can't attach the article here but would be happy to provide it to any who would like to have it.
  • PRO
    ARC, INC
    hace 9 años
    An important piece of installing shower pans is to make sure the pan is level. This prevents pooling or water running outside the shower. Then the pitch planes on the shower pan should make the water run towards the drain. With the waterproofing that goes over the pan should also prevent leakage.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.