Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Describe British style in one word!

Emmeline Westin
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
I've got a challenge for you! In just one word (or maybe two if you struggle) - how would you define British style?

Richmond, 1930's refurbishment · Más información

Comentarios (124)

• User
    hace 9 años
    Irredeemably bourgeois… but it goes just fine with our bad teeth, emotionally-remote parenting, Dickensian school system and essence-of-evil British accent :-)
  • shelleyuk
    hace 9 años
    Definitely eclectic. We mix our great grandmothers sideboard with an ikea storage system in a Victorian house with 1980s double glazed windows, 1930s kitchen chairs and shabby chic accessories.
  • Rina
    hace 9 años
    Other than that, Joanna, you like it, right?
  • summery
    hace 9 años
    Is this the time for the perennial lesson about Britain? That things British aren't necessarily English, although things English are thus British?

Substitute Scottish, Irish, or Welsh, for English, at your will.

And then there's the whole N Ireland vs S Ireland thing. Maybe Wikipedia is in order:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_britain
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Thank you for the summary, Summery.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    I love it, Rina. I was just wondering whether some of the comments above belonged in the category of amusing but unfathomable caricatures from over The Pond :-)
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Atlantis is unfathomable.
  • Rina
    hace 9 años
    One of my ways of idling time away -- and this is specially for Joanna -- is looking at house for sale ads, all over the world. I've found the British ones, like most, are a interesting mix of very desirable interiors (not so many), rather pleasant (more), and oh dear.
  • Rina
    hace 9 años
    Indeed, Chook. But I think interior style in Atlantis was a bit wet, actually.
  • Snaggy
    hace 9 años
    I am saddened.. some of the misconceptions you have about us Brits !
  • Sarah McColm
    hace 9 años
    Rina - Joanna was making a comment about the general opinions expressed earlier in the thread. She was really advocating for British homes. We need a sarcasm button :)
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Thank you, Sarah. I think I'm out of my (unfathomable) depth here!
  • Rina
    hace 9 años
    Sarah, I kind of got it. I like Joanna. She's funny. I have a streak of sarcasm in my own soul, too.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    That's great, Rina. As an interloper Brit, encountering a fellow streak of sarcasm in this fabulous online community makes me feel quite at home :-)
  • Sharon
    hace 9 años
    MINIMALIST-PLAIN. One word is challenging. Let's add boring uninspired low quality and uncoordinated. One can understand the origins when interior decorators here mainly care about ones curtains and paint vs providing a comprehensive room plan complete with sourced furniture and decorative objects. Just look at the difference between British houzz and American houzz. I would PAY for someone from Texas to help me fully decorate my English home American style! Ps where do I buy decent furniture Here? NO sofa workshop or natural or John Lewis for us!
  • tamariska
    hace 9 años
    Conservative
  • jen046
    hace 9 años
    Fab
  • Jo DP
    hace 9 años
    An impossible question. We are all individuals. Most of us do not follow just one "style".
    There is the very,very, good, the very, very, bad and the very, very beautiful and the very, very ugly.
    Just like you enjoy in the U. S. A.
    If we were all programmed, where would the fun be in that?
  • PRO
    Rug Zone
    hace 9 años
    Individualizing
  • Snaggy
    hace 9 años
    Same things can be said about American decorating !
  • karemore55
    hace 9 años
    Comfortable.
  • Ciocco
    hace 9 años
    Adaptable
  • studio10001
    hace 9 años
    cindyrr -achica?
  • Millie Money
    hace 9 años
    Traditional
  • Kivi
    hace 9 años
    One word? So all Brits share the same style?
  • PRO
    Anniswitch Meredith
    hace 9 años
    lively?
  • velliott2008
    hace 9 años
    pleasant
  • PRO
    Anniswitch Meredith
    hace 9 años
    Well, maybe like the food there? I think it's special and unique.
  • bruket
    hace 9 años
    Awkward.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Restrained.
  • glamamama
    hace 9 años
    That's British style is it? News to me and I am British.
  • poollover
    hace 9 años
    Un-inspired.

I am a Brit who loves modern/contemporary, try and find that in rural England! Thank god for internet shopping.
  • pavinia
    hace 9 años
    Traditional
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    hace 9 años
    LOVELY!
  • Sharon
    hace 9 años
    Uncoordinated
  • irenecb
    hace 8 años

REVOLUTIONARY. British style is revolutionary. It is an evolving process. It has its cultural roots in tradition and conservatism and there are things which the British wish to keep in both their lives and in their homes. The Monarchy, fish and chips, family heirlooms. There are things about our homes that we wish to change forever indicating a shift in culture, values and lifestyle. British family and home style is undergoing a revolution? Just like it did in the Victorian era where respectability, privacy and domesticity reigned along with the woman being the angel of the home? Has that changed? How have our roles changed? What do we want? How do we want to live? Do our homes reflect us? Do we want them to reflect us? Do our homes hold our lives? Or are we the agents of change? Or are we just the pawns of something bigger? Smaller private intimate rooms V larger communal family open spaces where we can come together and be more sociable? In our homes we wrestle with traditional which we know and trust and new exiting modern interior choices when decorating, creating the birth of transitional style whilst trying to balance the two. When redecorating we wrestle not with just the choice of traditional or modern furniture and furnishings but rather how we want to live our lives with regards to continuity or change. The truth may be that how we live in our homes is more important than how we furnish them. Making function the priority as opposed to the look. This to me is the biggest change and indication of a home style revolution. British homes are definitely undergoing a revolution and one could argue that they are heading towards a school of philosophy because there is definitely a way of thinking coming into play which goes deeper than the choice between a Chippendale chair and a Kartell Louis Ghost chair?

• smergal1
    hace 8 años
    There are a few words. Classic. Sophisticated. Elegant. Chic. If done well it is not boring or stodgy - more understated elegant. It doesn't have to try too hard, unlike so many of the "look at me" styles around these days.
  • Catherine Hounslow
    hace 8 años

Eclectic !

• crowningfashion
    hace 8 años

Clean.

• Sarah McNally
    hace 8 años
    Heritage
  • Catherine Hounslow
    hace 8 años

We all live in huge Downton Abbey style houses !

• Rina
    hace 8 años

How teddibly naice for you.

• Rina
    hace 8 años

I happen to love British style. In its many manifestations.

• nicoletteeve
    hace 8 años

Tasteful.

• Najeebah
    hace 8 años
    elegant
  • PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    hace 8 años

stunning!

Our Company Video

https://vimeo.com/120340222

This video explains our new fresh way of working in the renovation industry. Please visit our website http://www.stjamesdesigninteriors.com or email us info@stjamesdesigninteriors.com if you have any queries. We Hope you enjoy the video

• PRO
    Cloudberry Living
    hace 8 años

Ecclectic....

• Lalitte Stolper
    hace 7 años

Robust and fussy, my mum used to sigh.

• PRO
    Flippa Interiors Ltd
    hace 7 años

Eclectic.

• Mustafa Daif
    hace 6 años
    Elegantly simple
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.