Houzz Logo Print
jenharn

What color to paint exterior shutters? And door?

jenharn
hace 9 años
We bought a wonderful 1950's house but the exterior paint is peeling and MUST be repainted soon. The wood trim is a beige tan (similar to Behr Riviera Beach) and since part of the house has siding that is permanently that color, so we are going with that. But what about the door and shutters? Right now they are the same beige tan. Help!

Comentarios (11)

• chloebud
    hace 9 años
    Hi jenharn, nice house! I might pick one of the darkest tones from the brick for the shutters and door. Sometimes black or charcoal can look good with brick. It's a little hard to tell in the photos...is your roof more gray or brown? Whatever color you choose for the shutters and door, I'd leave the inside trim on the windows a soft white. The height of your shutters is throwing me off a bit. They should match the height of the windows, so you might think about changing that. Also, regarding your last photo...shutters should be sized in proportion to the window. If they were to actually close, they would cover the entire window.

One more thing...I usually like a soft white or cream with brick. I think your current shutter color would look better if the shutters were more in proportion to your window size.
  • jenharn
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you Chloe! The roof is brown. And I will ask about getting the shutters cut down to the height of the windows.
  • Joy
    hace 9 años
    I would paint shutters and door olive green. I also would remove shutters from the run of 3 windows. Can you reattach, after resizing, the shutters on the smaller windows so that they are operable? Is there a large bay window? How about painting the trim on that olive green also, leaving other trim of the rest of the windows the beige.
    jenharn agradeció a Joy
  • chloebud
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    If the roof is brown you could go with the darkest tone in the brick. Another color that might work with your brick and roof is Ben Moore's Tarrytown Green. I would leave the inside window trim white, as well as the trim along the roof and eaves. Your shutters and front door could be the Tarrytown and maybe keep the sidelights white. A couple urns out at the end on each side of your brick walkway. Personally, I'd remove the screen door, and put your house numbers to the right of the door on the brick facing the street.

The Tarrytown is really nice...
  • jenharn
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks joy! Here's a picture showing the bay window.
  • jenharn
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks Chloe! I do like that tarrytown color.
  • chloebud
    hace 9 años
    Your photo showing the bay window makes me think the Tarrytown Green would work nicely. I would probably keep the trim around your bay window white, but a close-up of it would help more.

I have family members who used the Tarrytown on their brick colonial home's shutters and front door. Sorry...I don't have permission right now to post a photo, but it's a lovely home. The inside trim on all the windows is white, along with the portico. The screened-in porch trim on one side of the house is all white. The combination of the brick, Tarrytown and white paint work beautifully. They were even contacted by HGTV magazine to feature their home in an article regarding curb appeal. The homeowners declined but it was a nice compliment....and well-deserved!
    jenharn agradeció a chloebud
  • K
    hace 9 años
    I think Tarrytown Green or yhe other suggestion would look great with the tan. I would not do white at all with your house. It is quite a beautiful home & lot!
  • PRO
    D Gilpin Properties
    hace 5 años

Hey Jen,

What a great house. We used SW Ravishing Coral on the door of a brick house we painted white (SW White Duck). It turned out awesome! We were really picky about the shade of coral and this was a great choice.

1950's Renovation · Más información

• Kathleen Harrington
    hace 5 años
    Beautiful home. To bring it into this century, ditch the shutters completely & paint the entire door (sidelights included) lime green. (It's just a door & paint which you can easily change in 5 yrs or so when trends change). Lime will look great w/your existing red brick & cream trim. You will have the most beautiful & interesting home in the neighborhood. Be brave, go bold!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.