Houzz Logo Print
ls555

Bathroom: use finished tile edge or bullnose

ls555
hace 9 años
Using 12X24 contemporary tiles on wall and floor. We have a ledge and niche. I have been told that since the tile edges are finished (grey), that I can use these edges instead of bullnose. I will use the brushed nickel strips for the walls on either side, but wonder about the niche and ledge edges? Which would look better?

Comentarios (20)

• PRO
    FK Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    Can you post a picture of the tile?
  • lucindanyc
    hace 9 años
    I would like to see a picture also. Without that, I prefer finished edges for a niche.
  • ls555
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Also would like your opinion on accents. I would either do an accent tile (verona polished marble 1' x 1" mosaic) or just the wall tile with no accent (maybe just the mosaic in the niche)
  • ls555
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Floor tile is the top one, wall tile is the bottom. All will be 12" x 24"
    Pattern is Kimona Silk (Daltile)
  • ls555
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I think this is a better photo of the wall tile. Bad lighting!
  • lucindanyc
    hace 9 años
    If the finished edges are grey without the texture on the surface of the tile, you will get the look of a grey frame around the niche. I think this will look nice and preferable to the schluter strips.
    ls555 agradeció a lucindanyc
  • PRO
    Wailea Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Look into a product called Schluter. it is made to finish edges of tile that doesn't have bull nose options.
  • PRO
    ls555 agradeció a Wailea Interiors
  • PRO
    Wailea Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I also like the suggestion of using the glass as a background effect in the nich
  • PRO
    Wailea Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Please note: Bullnose is available for Kimona Silk
  • PRO
    Wailea Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I apologize, I didn't answer your question. Use bullnose tiles or the brushed nickel schluter strips for a good contrast.
  • ls555
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you for all your comments. I like the idea of using the schluter strips at the end of each wall. I checked and found out that the bullnose does continue the pattern in my tile. So I may use bullnose on the ledge and niche.
  • ls555
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    What would your thoughts be about using the accent tile around the tiled area just below the shower sprayer?
  • PRO
    Wailea Interiors
    hace 9 años
    metal ages (dal tile) polished bronze might look great.
  • ls555
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you, I will check that out!
  • PRO
    Foley Development Group
    hace 9 años
    I would probably still use a bull nose but either way is probably fine.
    ls555 agradeció a Foley Development Group
  • PRO
    Advantage Design + Remodel
    hace 9 años
    I think either way would look great. I do want to comment on one other thing if you don't mind. I want your shower to last a long time and would recommend a waterproofing membrane over the green board as the green board is not waterproof, Schluter Kerdi works really well and is easy to install we use it on every shower we install.
  • PRO
    Ed's Heating Cooling Plumbing Electric
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Advantage Carpentry & Remodeling! You will have serious issues down the road. We have replaced jobs that have not been done properly and it costs more in the long run and potential mold and water damage to home. It is easy to use and just need unmodified thinset to set the material in. If you don't want to use the Kerdi you can use concrete board and thinset your joints.

http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi_function.aspx
  • ls555
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you. I will double check on this with my tile guy!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.