Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What do you miss most about your parent's house?

Emily H
hace 9 años
It could be a particular piece of furniture, the smell, maybe just the way you felt when you lived there. If you had to choose one thing, what would be the thing you missed most?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Daniel Island 2 · Más información

Comentarios (44)

• PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    I miss the sound of their grandfather clock chiming throughout the day. I'd never have one myself, but it so reminds me of their house!
    Emily H agradeció a Studio M Interior Design
  • Nani Sa
    hace 9 años
    being warm with each other and deep wells.
    Emily H agradeció a Nani Sa
  • shars55
    hace 9 años
    My parents.
    Emily H agradeció a shars55
  • marywashington
    hace 9 años
    the closet sized kitchen where gourmet food magically appeared.
    Emily H agradeció a marywashington
  • Robbi
    hace 9 años
    My dad could fix anything (my husband can't and neither can I so I miss having things fixed on the spot)!, the house was always so well maintained. We have to call in professional help for everything and something always seems to break down. I still get to visit my parents and the house since they are still well, married to each other and living in the same house I grew up in.
    Emily H agradeció a Robbi
  • Patricia Laursen
    hace 9 años
    My Dad.
    Emily H agradeció a Patricia Laursen
  • User
    hace 9 años
    The front porch and the spring water.
    Emily H agradeció a User
  • Beth Scheel
    hace 9 años
    Our home on the farm had lots of different yards and outbuildings for me to play in and have a whole imaginary town in. The house was two old houses put together sometime before 1917. It was small for a family of 6 but they made it work with an attic bedroom. Mom & Dad moved to town 8 years ago. It's falling apart now and my husband and I are in charge of tearing it down this summer...
    Emily H agradeció a Beth Scheel
  • Ruth Felice
    hace 9 años
    the feeling of welcome when you got there,no matter what time of day or night
    Emily H agradeció a Ruth Felice
  • Alyce Cunningham
    hace 9 años
    the screen door slamming ......
    Emily H agradeció a Alyce Cunningham
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    hace 9 años
    The polished 30s modern dark green linoleum, in the living room.
    Emily H agradeció a sstarr93
  • willy4
    hace 9 años
    My family all together, simple times no cares, love of family under one roof
    Emily H agradeció a willy4
  • hambirg
    hace 9 años
    Forced air gas heat. . .and picking and eating fresh peas from the garden.
    Emily H agradeció a hambirg
  • jujubead61
    hace 9 años
    The front porch and swing
    Emily H agradeció a jujubead61
  • aball2767
    hace 9 años
    My parents!
    Emily H agradeció a aball2767
  • cabingirl13
    hace 9 años
    living on the lake.....
    Emily H agradeció a cabingirl13
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    My family, what my dad called our "rare tree", and my imaginary world below the front sidewalk.
    Emily H agradeció a makaloco
  • PRO
    Urbanata/Steve
    hace 9 años
    My dad, the house itself means nothing to me. It was a non-descript 1950's brick ranch house that was far too small for our family.
    Emily H agradeció a Urbanata/Steve
  • chloebud
    hace 9 años
    There was a playhouse built by the previous owners (who also built the main house). It was an amazing playhouse... front porch, shutters, window boxes and Dutch door. We spent many hours (and nights) in that little house. A section of the interior had a huge chalk board that you could pull down and use as a counter top. Sadly, it's all long gone...the property is now an Arby's in Farmington Hills, Michigan.
    Emily H agradeció a chloebud
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    hace 9 años
    Mom's cooking, Sabbath dinner with the extended family, seeing my cousins and aunts nearly every day, gardening with Grandpa...
    Emily H agradeció a Jessica Kerry Mack
  • Laurie
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Hated the house I grew up in. Ugly brown ranch with 3 bedrooms down, an attic redone into 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and walk-in closet in hallway leading to balance of attic space. Very small finished basement that was so dismal nobody wanted to make use of it. It had awful claustrophobic landscaping also. My parents didn't care for it either but bought it because it had enough rooms for 4 kids and, the price was right (mid 1960's). They never really did anything to make it better other than some paint and wallpaper here and there and a minor (very) kitchen upgrade. Everyone was thrilled when they finally sold it to move elsewhere.
    Emily H agradeció a Laurie
  • PRO
    Meyer Contracting, LLC
    hace 9 años
    My step-dad's amazing cooking every night. Living with my siblings, family movie nights, their pool, not having to pay a bunch of bills :-) Being a kid! The coziness of their home.
    Emily H agradeció a Meyer Contracting, LLC
  • Nancy
    hace 9 años
    My mum's house was a big old double brick Californian bungalow built in 1925. I miss how cool the house was in a scorching Sydney summer and its warmth in winter. But most of all I miss my mum and her warm and safe arms.
    Emily H agradeció a Nancy
  • carthiefintexas
    hace 9 años
    My parents. The house I've loathed since it was built. On stilts (since built in), poorly insulated, no privacy and sound travelled through it so easily. My mother is aware that once she & Dad have gone, that place is getting bulldozed - and then I'll probably be dealing with asbestos. Given this Mum will probably leave the house to my sister :)
    Emily H agradeció a carthiefintexas
  • tliv11
    hace 9 años
    The neighborhood and all the get together. Street parties, etc. It used to be such fun as a kid. Our street is anti-social. :(
  • kylen2350
    hace 9 años
    Mom and Dad. Then putting on variety shows in the garage for the neighbors. And turning garage into Halloween haunted house complete with over cooked noodles that kids had to put their hands in while blindfolded. We told them it was worm guts! Ahh, the good ol' days are gone. Thanks for posting this question.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    hace 9 años
    Which one? My Dad was a builder so we moved every 3-4 years for the most part.
  • pickyvicky
    hace 9 años
    Dad, and mom's missing leg.
  • Gina P
    hace 9 años
    I lived in quite a few houses but the one I did most of my growing up in was a small two bedroom cap cod. When my youngest sister was born we needed more room so my parent remodeled the unfinished second level to include two additional bedrooms and a bath. One of those bedrooms became mine and I loved it! I was 13 at the time and this was the first time I had my own room! I loved that room!
  • Darzy
    hace 9 años
    Easy. I miss my Dad. He passed 11 years ago and the house has felt "empty" ever since.
  • PRO
    Natural Home Design
    hace 9 años
    The kitchen table. my
    dad wrote a conservation column for the local newspaper and I remember the squeek before he started to write,,I would wait in my bed before I fell asleep just to hear/or feel his excitement. Also Mom always had something in the oven baking when my sister came home from school and everyhting spotless..pretty special.
  • Heidi Dyke
    hace 9 años
    The living room. There were two huge, curved couches that truly comfortably sat 3 each (4, if you really liked each other); they surrounded a tall, round coffee table and faced the fireplace. That space was so inviting and comfortable and so conducive to talk, we spent most of our time as a family in there...Dad would read to us as we sprawled out on the coffee table drawing or tucked into the couch corners working on crafts, or we'd gather around the table for board or card games (those were the best!), or in the middle of the afternoon you'd find four grown (or nearly-grown) people napping on those great big couches. It's still the best room in that house, and it's my muse for how I want my own home to make people feel.
  • K Bauce
    hace 9 años
    The thing I miss most is the "magic" hamper. I'm not really sure what was so special about it but it never failed. Put clothes in the day before and the next day they were folded and placed on your bed the next. Weird right??? lol
  • jemimabean
    hace 9 años
    I miss spending hours and hours each day reading in the hammock stretched between two huge oak trees in the backyard. I would make two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, mix up some lemonade, and spend entire days out there during summer.
  • Joanne Maurer
    hace 9 años
    my dad but other than that nothing...my mom still lives there and believe it or not i still have my room there...lol and i am 60
  • Joanne Maurer
    hace 9 años
    this house pictured here is magnificient
  • Jeannie
    hace 9 años
    My underfloor heating
  • melwishes
    hace 9 años
    the couch in the kitchen
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    hace 7 años

I am very fortunate that my parents are still living in the house I grew up in, so I'm able to go back there to see them whenever I want. One thing their house has that I wish mine had is an 8 ft. wide patio door.

• User
    hace 7 años

Like Meyer Contracting, it isn't a "thing" but a smell. I do all I can to bring it in, when I cook. Breathe deep. There they are- your parents!

• marym0113
    hace 7 años

My Mom, it's been 15 years since she passed away. My Dad still lives in the house but it will never be the same.

• chiflipper
    hace 7 años

A house is just a structure, a family is something else entirely. I left both at age 17 and never looked back.

• suzie123
    hace 7 años

keeping the door unlocked so all of the neighbors could just drop by, visit and snack on some my mothers baking.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.