Houzz Logo Print
mitchell_parker

What's your go-to cleaning tip?

Mitchell Parker
hace 8 años

Got a magic cleaning solution that your parent or grandparent taught you? Share your tips and tricks for cleaning the Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom and Living Room!

Casual Contemporary · Más información

Comentarios (243)

• Jennifer Pistilli Tanner
    hace 8 años
    Charlee: That oven glass is such a pain! Here's a good video that shows how to do it:
  • Jennifer Pistilli Tanner
    hace 8 años
    Charlee: That oven glass is such a pain! Here's a good video that shows how to do it:
  • flemingn
    hace 8 años

Someone parked a truck on a rainy day in my bluestone driveway and left large rust stains. Any ideas for removal?

• Sally Hess Keys
    hace 8 años

flemingn... I am not familiar with bluestone but I use Lestoil cleaner on many household stains.. even in the laundry. It's very good at removing oil stains in particular. I hope someone on this thread has other ideas or you can find an answer thru a retailer or manufacture website. I find Lestoil in the cleaning section of the local grocery store chain , Giant. Here on the east coast USA

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    hace 8 años

I hear lestoil is miraculous

• Sally Hess Keys
    hace 8 años

Gray & Walter, Ltd... Yes... Lestoil is my ' go to' for all kinds of stains! It took grass stain out of light colored golf shorts. I used to think it was just to clean trash cans but my neighbor told me to use it on clothes too. Amazing stuff. Dot it on stain and toss it in laundry with other detergent and wash in regular cycle. The laundry area has a fresh clean smell after also.. hmm.. perhaps that is why I have no musty front load washing machine! ha

• annetha
    hace 8 años

Re rust stains on bluestone driveway, if you have a spare piece, try some of these methods to make sure they won't damage the finish: http://www.getridofthings.com/household/get-rid-of-rust-stains/ (For rusty clothes, my mom taught me to apply paste of cream of tartar and wash in very hot water.)

ANTS. Borax is mentioned as a cleaning agent, but it also is old-timey ant control agent. (Pros use it still for tiny Pharaoh ants.) I mix a bit with jelly or jam in a jar lid and leave UNDER THE STOVE when ants begin tracking into the house in spring. (Important to keep potentially poisonous stuff away from kids and pets, and under-the-stove works for me!)

• donnamaas
    hace 8 años

If your mother's silver is stored away; read this: I use a polish that "instantly" removes tarnish while applying a glowing protective finish - a year later, while preparing for the holidays, only a few pieces required a touch-up. The polish even restored my fifty year old stainless steel sink and faucet; applying a waterproof shine. Water just rolls down the drain (no more water-spots); and the shine lasts. The polish provides the same results on every type of metal. MAAS metal polish can be found on the internet along with numerous endorsements: Good Housekeeping Institute test results state: "MAAS cleans best and gives lasting results..."

• cmwmjm
    hace 8 años

I was about to have to throw away a Victorian balloon back chair, the back of which was rough and white. Rubbed on Methalated Spirit and let it sit for a while then removed the gunk it had left by wiping again with meths. The result was astonishing! The wood back had a glorious patina again, all the roughness and white film gone.

Also water rings and spots on furniture. Lay a clean cotton t-shirt over the stain and iron over it with a medium hot iron (not on a steam setting). All water damage gone!

• sandysuds
    hace 8 años

Change out your toilet for less than $300. The new, straight-sided, comfort-height (low water, strong flush) toilets are narrower and a breeze to clean -- no grime-holding curves, and extra space to clean the floor. American Standard (Lowe's, etc) makes a great one. One of my favorite parts of my bath remodel. I liked it so much I changed out the toilet in my powder room. What a crazy thing to be excited about.

• cls_
    hace 8 años

I have switched to using white vinegar, diluted in water for general cleaning, with baking soda. Also baking soda alone for cleaning pans-anything I need some grit for. For my stainless steel in the kitchen I use Bar Keeper's friend, after I researched the ingredients. I have used the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to clean off grimy bakeware.

• havingfun
    hace 8 años

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! And remember we are over 35 million, if we opt out, it will make a difference!

• זועבי זועבי
    hace 8 años
    good
  • זועבי זועבי
    hace 8 años
    good
  • busymom_35
    hace 8 años
    Goo-Gone is perfect for just about anything, including bad stains and oily spots on laundry.My other go to magic cleaner's are Awesome and Mean Green.These I use for walls,upholstery,carpet's,cabinets and even outside items.
  • shagert33
    hace 8 años

Stacey Thompson

Favorite cleaning tool is a microfiber cloth. I bought a 3 pack from "Solutions" catalog. They are better quality than other similar cloths. I wipe down the microwave, stainless steel appliances, toaster, coffee pot, cupboards, etc. AND cleans glass, all without any products. It can be thrown in washing machine and reused for months. Very durable, very effective. Use damp, wring and wipe.

• ourlifeinthesticks
    hace 8 años
    borax removes built up hair spray residue in bathrooms
  • dharmadm
    hace 8 años

Hydrogen peroxide. Lemons and coarse salt, especially for wood cutting boards. But truthfully, my secret is our wonderful housekeeper, once a week!

• Gail Kilbane
    hace 8 años
    cleaning oven grates. double bag ,sealoven grates. pour ammonia in bag. i just poured maybe half to cup and sealed bag. some leave in house but I put outside 12 hours. again. i forgot about it and got it next day after work. omg you won't believe it. just lightly scrubbed ( and i mean lightly) came out like new. fumes remove grime and loosen for easy removal.
  • beatadomanska
    hace 8 años

Universal Stone sold in specialty kitchen stores or online. Completely natural and safe. It cleans just about anything! Buildup in shower stalls, dirty bathroom tiles, dirty sinks, or crystal. When I purchased it I ran around looking for stuff to clean since it was so effective! Reading some of these posts reminds me that we really need to collectively think about the toxic impact that the cleaning products we choose to buy have on us and our water and air.

• vvbboonn
    hace 8 años

flemingn the best rust remover for clothes and just about everything else is WINK rust remover. The liquid comes in a 10 oz. brown bottle. It's great. They also have a powdered product which I have not tried.

• mvanhull
    hace 8 años

Try Arm & Hammer's Super Washing Soda. Big box found in laundry detergent section of store. Works beautifully on porcelain and solid surfaces as well as on laundry. Non-abrasive.

• jeannemaria
    hace 8 años

Although this isn't an every day cleaning tip, I was shocked that such an awful task suddenly turned into an easy-as-pie task. You can easily remove paint from door hardware (when a previous owner took the easy route and just painted over 105 year old metal doorknobs and hinges!!) using Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Lay your metal hardware on a piece of newspaper outdoors or in a well ventilated area and spray until the pieces are covered with Easy Off. Go make yourself a cup of tea and in about 15 minutes, all you have to do is wipe it off with a paper towel (wear rubber gloves to protect skin). Old paint turns into a sheet of rubbery material and pretty much comes off entirely in a few seconds. You can have an old toothbrush near by to get it out of small crevasses. Then I rinse in the sink and you're done. Even textured metal hardware is easy to work with using this method. Hint Re: Door Hinges: Remove the top hinge, clean and replace; then remove bottom hinge and do the same. You won't have to remove the door from the jamb.

• jeannemaria
    hace 8 años

Any good recommendations out there for removing baked-on grease off of cookies sheets, baking pans, and the bottom of pots and pans used on the stove top? I saw an earlier comment that seems to say that hydrogen peroxide and baking soda may work??

• mdramiller4
    hace 8 años

Dryer sheets work the best for cleaning soap scum on showers, shower doors, and tubs. Easy to work with.

• Gratsiella Kalfakakou
    hace 8 años

homemade soap from used (usually fried) olive oil. I use it to clean from the walls to my white underwear!!

• drememon
    hace 8 años

Microfiber cloths are wonderful tools. I buy them at the local restaurant supply store in the big bundles, and keep some in each bathroom as well as the kitchen. Used with very little water, no soap or chemical, they make my stainless steel shine. Ditto windows and mirrors. My black quartz countertop is spotfree. i wipe down the chrome shower fixtures and glass tile after squeegeeing the shower, and everything sparkles.

i wash the microfibers by themselves in a separate load, so they don't collect fibers from other towels. I don't use fabric softener anyway (vinegar is my softener), but it's definitely not recommended for the microfiber cloths.

• Dale Hoover
    hace 8 años

Several things: I keep very small squirt-bottles of either cheap vodka (=sanitizer) or white vinegar along with several toilet paper rolls that are nearly out of paper in 2 kitchen cabinets & use 1 square per dabbing up little things.

I also put a cheap white-plastic child's step-stool in the cavernous Master shower, & sit on it nearly on the floor (there is a sturdy grab-bar affixed to tile wall to help me up if need be) & use a shower wand that reaches down. This keeps me from having to clean all the glass windows of the shower often.

I keep a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide handy for spraying the shower-tile after showers: keeps most mold, mildew & even soap scum from adhering to the tiles.

• Margo
    hace 8 años

Dale, is that a sprig of fake greenery in the shower? If so, why?

• tlsewell
    hace 8 años

e-cloth my favorite new find ( Amazon & qvc)

• suezbell
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

edited

Recently figured out that some microfiber cloths put on a Swiffer mop pad (or the much better, stronger, longer lasting green and white similar tool -- Green Boss) rather than just using the sheets that come with the tool, can not only work as a dust mop but can be used with chlorine bleach to bleach a painted porch floor without having the cloth rot off while you're working with it -- it actually holds up well and can be reused.

These microfiber "mops" are also good for mopping the kitchen floor with glass cleaner, something that doesn't require rinsing; and mopping the floor in front of the stove each time after frying anything decreases the frequency the entire floor needs mopping.

Alcohol can remove fresh ink (by wash and dry the fabric it first and you bake it in).

Butane lighter fluid helps remove glue as does the older stronger nail polish.

I keep a number of small colorful spray bottles in my kitchen that are very useful -- the colors code the content. (alcohol - white) (vinegar, clear), (window cleaner - light blue) (veggie oil - yellow), (water - dark blue).

I repurposed a Fabreze spray bottle for Mr. Clean and it comes out as a more foamy liquid.

• suezbell
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

decanio3

If I were to leave any plastic outside at night with any smell, the container would be gone or chewed up. If the neighbor's dog's didn't drag them off or chew them up, the possum, raccoon or some other wild animal would.

• Amey Edwards
    hace 8 años

I just learned one that works like nothing I have ever tried for the bathtub. Cut a lemon in half and dip in salt (use a good amount) then dip in Borax. Scrubs off scum and dirt like magic! The lemon doesn't have to be a fresh one. I had one that was past its fresh point, so I found a good use instead of tossing it.

• everdebz
    hace 8 años

Yes to borax. Also baking soda.

• ddindc
    hace 8 años

My boyfriend swears by a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and dish soap. He even claims it cleans red wine out of carpet. I've got to admit, It works pretty well.

• havingfun
    hace 8 años

dd, does he ever take the spray bottle and spray a booboo with it? tehehe

• sandysuds
    hace 8 años

Great George Forman grill tip: Saw a tip about using a sheet of foil, large enough to cover inside of top and bottom grates. Lay it inside the grill, spray bottom & top w/oil (or "paint" olive oil) and place food on the "foil sandwich". Close the lid, cook and you'll have grill marks on the food but no mess on the grill plates. Works great when using marinade. If you can't picture it, check it out on Youtube.

• ddindc
    hace 8 años

@havingfun I cut myself making Thanksgiving dinner and he just used straight HP, but that might not be a bad idea, actually. Great ideas come from somewhere. =)

• havingfun
    hace 8 años

well we will just have to go thank "My big fat greek wedding" then. Falalala lalala

Sandy, does not everyone do that with things like baking or grill dishes?

• shirley9904
    hace 8 años

I know I saw something here about cleaning blinds from a house that has been smoked in. Can you please remind me; I thought one way was to put blinds in a tub with dishwasher detergent and hot water. Looking for any good ideas!

• PRO
    Frugal Fortune
    hace 8 años

Old fashioned Ammonia. I also love Comet.

• Sally Hess Keys
    hace 8 años

shirley9904 I used sudsy ammonia in the bathrub to soak my mini blinds. Took them outside (standing in a bucket so they didn't drip thru the house) and tossed em up over a clothes line to rinse with a garden hose. Sparkling clean.. even the ones from the kitchen and bath. Those tend to get 'sticky' from the steam and heat from shower and cooking. I've sprayed them after the dry with pledge and wiped them down.. just as you would furniture. Makes them easier to dust off in between the yearly washing of them. I also use pledge on the shower rod. WHEW.. does that make for a fast shower curtain pull!

• magilojoh
    hace 8 años

Sally Hess Keys reminded me of something else-2 things actually. Not really a cleaning tip per se-but I bought a plastic cover for my shower rod (about $3)-it's much easier to clean than the aluminum -whatever metal it is-shower rod & the curtain slides great. Also had a friend that got an old huge trough at a garage sale to use as a washtub outside-she did her blinds in it and other big cleaning jobs that were easier done outside.

• everdebz
    hace 8 años

I get 'overcome' by ammonia even diluted as I think many do - do you ever deal with that? wear a bandana or mask or ?

• Ronald Johnstone
    hace 7 años

If oven cleaner does not work, get a jug of GoJo Orange Hand Cleaner at
    probably any hardware, auto
    parts store or Costco. This is the stuff that will easily remove the
    black grime from an auto mechanics hands and it is amazing for kitchen
    grease also. Just rub it in, wipe it off, repeat and follow with glass
    cleaner to shine it up. I cleaned the porcelain on the inside of a GE
    convection oven that had been baked on for years with it in a few
    minutes after every other approach did not work. Works on the glass
    window too.

• lindy2261
    hace 5 años
    Whatever product you use to clean, try using LESS. Chances are something will get just as clean, you’ll save a few cents, and you’ll use less time and ‘elbow grease’ rinsing off any product residue.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

The best word is "now" the worst word and method is "later". It's that simple : ) Doesn't matter what you use. The "now" word allows you to less of whatever it is you use, including elbow grease and TIME.

• Kay Addis
    hace 5 años

Bump to keep near top

• Lisa Llewellyn
    hace 5 años

Vinegar! Miracle cleaner for so many things, I keep a dish brush with original Dawn with white vinegar, take an extra long shower and clean, keeps soap scum to a minimum. There are so many uses, Google it!

• Nancy Peers
    hace 5 años

Bar tenders friend!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.